9 Epic Things To Do in Queenstown this Winter
Queenstown is the ultimate winter destination – famous its ski fields, adrenaline-inducing activities and stunning landscapes – all ingredients for an epic winter escape.
Only a three hour flight from Sydney, many Aussies flock to our winter resort for a ski holiday – quite often working out to be cheaper than a trip to Australian ski fields.
While skiing may be your main focus for the trip, there are plenty of other activities on offer in the region that you may want to take advantage of while you’re here.
Here are our recommendations:
1. Paragliding After a day on the slopes, why not swap the bus ride down for a more adventurous option? Who: SkyTrek Tandem Paragliding & Hang Gliding
2. Dog sledding
We once thought this was an adventure we could only try in North America or Scandinavia, although after some research, we soon found out we could experience this in our own backyard. Leading our own team of these beautiful huskies through the Cardrona Ranges has to be our favourite winter activity. See our full review on Dog Sledding.
Who: Underdog NZ
3. Skydiving Hands down, this has to be the most exhilarating experience in Queenstown! Freefalling at speeds of up to 200km beside snow-capped peaks and over the brilliant blue Lake Wakatipu makes for one stunning backdrop. Who: NZONE Skydive
4. Canyon Swing Launch yourself off the World’s Highest Cliff Jump, 109m over the Shotover River. Choose from a heap of different jump styles including The Chair or Pin Drop, before freefalling 60m before the 200m swing kicks in.
Who: Canyon Swing
5. Helicopter flight
Discover Queenstown from an elevated perspective and fly in a helicopter to some incredible alpine locations. If you thought Lake Wakatipu looked blue from the ground, you should see how amazing it looks from above! You can fly to Milford Sound, or land on a snow capped mountain, within a few minutes – a must-do when you’re short on time in Queenstown!
Who: The Helicopter Line
6. Onsen Hot Pools
What better way to unwind after a day up the mountain, than with a toasty hot tub dip. Visit in the afternoon and look out over spectacular views of the valley below, or wait until the night and enjoy a candle-lit soak while watching the night sky dancing above.
Who: Onsen Hot Pools
7. Luge in the snow
Ride the Gondola up to the top of Skyline for one of the best views in town. While you’re there, go for a few spins on the world-famous Luge. Choose between two tracks, and challenge your buddies down the hill while looking out over Queenstown.
Who: Skyline Queenstown
8. Bungy Jump There is nothing like leaping off a bridge over a turquoise blue body of water – in the snow!
Who: AJ Hackett Bungy
9. Day trip to Milford Sound Take a day off from the slopes and spend a day venturing into a Jurassic world. A land filled with towering peaks and cascading waterfalls, it will be an experience that will last with you for a lifetime. There are a number of ways you can head to this remote wilderness, and it will depend on your time and budget as to which you will choose. Whether it’s by car, coach, plane or helicopter – there’s no doubt it will be a truly inspiring experience.
Who: Cruise Mitre Peak Cruises
We’d love to hear what other activities you’ve gotten up to in Queenstown! Comment below…